- 1⁄4 kg, mung (green whole lentils), soaked overnight
- 2 onions,medium-sized, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, medium-sized, sliced
- 3 green chilies, slit in half
- 1” ginger, chopped fine
- 6-7 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 tsp shahjeera (caraway seeds)
- 1 tsp, mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1⁄2 cup coriander leaves, minced
- 10 curry leaves
- 4 tbsp, oil
- salt, as per taste
- 1⁄2 cup water
Soak the mung dal overnight and drain the water out the next day. Place the moong in a colander or hung in a clean thin linen cloth, till the moong starts to sprout. Once the mung get sprouts keep aside.
Take a pan with oil, and add mustard seeds. When these start to crackle add shahjeera, curry leaves, crushed garlic, green chilies,sliced onions, tomatoes and salt.
Cover for 5 mins on low flame. Once onions and tomatoes are soft, add red chilly powder and garam masala and mix. Next, add in the sprouted mung. Add half a cup of water so as not to let the mixture burn and cook covered with a lid for 20 to 25 minutes on a low flame or till mung is cooked.
Garnish with coriander leaves.