- 1⁄2 kg, gosalen or ridge gourd, sliced & diced in 4 quarters
- 2 onions, medium-sized, diced fine
- 2 tomatoes, medium-sized, diced fine
- 5 green chillies, slit in half
- 8-9 garlic cloves, crished
- 1⁄2” ginger, minced
- 1 tsp urad dal (white lentils)
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 1⁄2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1⁄4 cup, fresh coconut, grated
- 4 red chilli peppers, small and round, dried
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- salt, as per taste
Take a pan and add oil, and when warm add the urad dal, mustard seeds, red small round chilies, garlic crushed, curry leaves, green chilies and ginger.
Sauté the same till the mustard seeds start to crackle. Now, add onions, tomatoes, salt, turmeric powder and cover the pan cook cooking on a low flame till the onions and tomatoes turn soft.
Now add the cut gosalen and mix well. Cover the pan and continue to cook on a low flame till the vegetable is cooked.
Garnish with fresh grated coconut, mix and serve.
Ridge gourd and cleaned by running off the tip of their ridges with a regular potato peeler. It is important to do this, so that the vegetable doesn’t end up being a chewy piece of fibre in your mouth. As the the gourd cooks, it becomes more transparent on the inside and lighter green on the outside.