- 2 cups, rice (the best variety
- 1 cup, coconut, fresh, grated
- 1cup, rice, cooked
- 1 ½, jaggery (cane sugar), grated
- 1 cucumber, large, grated
- 2, cardamom, pods
- salt, as per taste
- butter or oil, to grease the dish
- crushed nuts of your choice (optional)
Wash the rice and keep it to soak for 4 to 5 hours. Grind the soaked rice coarsely along with cucumber, jaggery, cooked rice, cardamoms and salt. Add the grated coconut and blend for 3-5 seconds. If desired, add the crushed nuts in this ground paste. Mix well and pour this in the greased dish or casserole and steam for 45 minutes, or until done.
To check if the mandas is done, as with cakes, insert a flat knife or a toothpick in the center and it should come out clean.
For Rice varieties (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rice_varieties) to see the various types of rice in the world.