- 1⁄2 kg, okra (ladies’ fingers)
- 2 onions, medium, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, large, chopped
- 2-3, green chillies, slit in half
- 1⁄2 tsp. ginger paste
- 1 tsp. garlic paste
- 1 tsp. mango, powder
- 1 tsp. red chilly, powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. garam masala, powder
- 1 tsp. shah jeera (caraway seeds)
- 10-15, curry leaves
- 3 tbsp. oil
- salt, as per taste
- 2 tbsp. coriander leaves, finely chopped (for garnish)
Wash the okra and dry with a clean kitchen towel. Cut the okra into rings and marinate with ginger and garlic paste, mango powder, salt and 1 tablespoon (tbsp) oil. Mix well and keep aside for an hour in the fridge. Now take a pan and fry the marinated ladyfingers and keep aside.
Take another pan and add the oil, shah jeera, curry leaves, green chillies, chopped onions, tomatoes, a pinch of salt and cover the pan till the onion and tomatoes turn soft. After the mixture has softened, add red chilly powder and garam masala powder and mix well. Add the fried ladyfingers, cover the pan for another five mins. Finally garnish with coriander leaves and serve. If you like the dish, slightly wet in consistency you may add half a cup of hot water.